Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Potty Power!


We are so proud of our big girl, Lauren! After one week of staying home and working very intensely with her on potty training, we are on day 7 of NO accidents.

As many of you may remember, we tried working with Lauren on potty training last fall, which then dragged into last winter, and oh here comes Annie, which resulted in some regression. So we decided to give it a break for a bit. When I looked at the calendar a few weeks ago, I determined last week was our best shot to try it again before I return to work. We didn't have any plans so potty training became our mission.

Since our challenging experience a few months ago, I have spent many hours reading every technique and strategy I could find on the subject. I decided to make this learning experience fun, yet intense.

It all started on a rainy Friday afternoon with a trip to Target. Aunt Stephanie was along for this shopping mission and couldn't believe everything we bought. She even told Geoff after we got home, "I've never seen Kate shop like that before. Whatever Lauren wanted, Kate let her put it in the cart." We bought salty snacks, three new pottys, at least 20 pairs of new unders, and a few other fun reward items. At one point Lauren said, "Mom, I am buried." (I guess that's what happens when you have a car seat in the basket of the cart. Where do all the things you are going to buy go?) We just put them all around Lauren. This, and the fact that we were actually buying everything she wanted, made for a successful and exciting start to our potty training week.


The rest of the week was filled with lots of art projects, books and DVDs on the subject. We even found a soundtrack with music on the subject. Lauren was allowed to watch, read, and listen to these things whenever she wanted. That was another change around our house. She is usually only allowed 1/2 hour of TV per day. I think there were some days when we watched some of the DVDs at least 8 times. I would highly recommend It's Potty Time and Potty Power., if you are interested. Lauren wanted to be like the kids in the DVDs and even learned many songs to keep her entertained while learning all the steps. Wearing dresses and having pottys everywhere around the house worked really well too.

The "surprises", as Lauren called them, after she went potty were extremely helpful too. I tried to make most of them salty snacks, which resulted in Lauren being thirsty, which then required a drink of water, causing the entire process to begin again soon. Repetition was key!!!

We also decided it would be fun for Lauren to earn a potty party. So we made a 5 ring paper chain. At the end of each day, if there were no accidents during the day, she was allowed to rip one of the rings. Once all the rings were gone, she earned her potty party.

She received some really great cards and gifts in the mail from friends and family too, which were very helpful. Lauren is also really excited to use the telephone these days. So if she ever wanted to call various people (you know who you are) and tell them about her potty successes she was allowed to as well.

The Potty Party!!

Lauren wanted to serve pizza and cupcakes. She helped me make and frost the cupcakes, as well as pick out the pizza. She also selected a few balloons to use a decorations and helped me pick out the favors for her guests.

The Barney Balloon


Various favors - The babies were given wipes (don't forget to wipe), the adult women were given soap (don't forget to wash), and the kiddos were given gift packs with unders, stickers, suckers, and Smurf tatoos.



Frosting the cupcakes


Waking up from her nap to find the house all decorated.

Her party was a huge success! Four of her friends were able to come with their mommies, as well as Aunt Stephanie, my friend, Amanda, and Mariah.

The kids played for a bit, we ate pizza, garlic bread, cheese and cracker snacks, and applesauce squeezes.




Then we lit a candle and sang Happy Potty Party to Lauren and everyone enjoyed their delicious chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting.


Way to go, Lauren!!! We are so proud of you.

PS - Thanks to Aunt Stephanie for all the great photos!!

5 comments:

  1. This is seriously the best idea ever!! I am so glad that it has been such a success. And way to go Lauren on SEVEN straight days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time at the Potty Party!!! I am so proud of Lauren!!! I loved my phone calls and can't bring myself to delete the voicemail she left me! It makes me smile every time I listen to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh what a cutie!! Haha I love the idea of a potty party! I will keep that in mind for when it's time to potty train my son

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIPPEEE!!! Congrats to Lauren and I can't believe what a beautiful big girl she is becoming!! Those pictures are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooo hooo!! Great Job Mommy and Lauren! Like Steph, I also saved my message from Lauren about using the potty! Awesome idea for the party at the end of 7 days :)

    ReplyDelete